[LLVMdev] VmKit - Error in j3/precompiler after a big surgery to MMTk part

Yi Lin qinsoon at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 03:43:23 PDT 2013

Hi Gaël,

Since I am replacing Java MMTk with C MMTk, accordingly I also changed
the build process.

On 12/09/13 19:53 , Gaël Thomas wrote:
> Hi Yi,
>
> The precompiler is in charge of translating the most common classes of
> the Java runtime library to llvm code (typically, java.lang.Object),
> in order to natively compile these classes and decrease the bootstrap
> time. So, if you have a segmentation fault at this stage, it means
> that you have broken something in the interface between MMTk and
> VMKit. If it can helps you:
>
> * during a first stage, we compile VMKit and J3 with a fake MMTk (we
> replace gcmalloc by a simple malloc)
> * we use the generated VMKit/J3 to natively compile MMTk
> * we link this code with VMKit and replace malloc by the gcmalloc of
> MMTk. At this stage, you have VMKit that use MMTk. In your case, the
> compilation is correct up to this stage, meaning that VMKit is still
> able to compile MMTk.
The above stages seem no longer needed. I also removed the fake MMTk
methods.
The error happened in precompiling, so I assume the compilation of C
MMTk and linking with J3 appears to be fine (though there might be problems)
> * we use VMKit/J3 (linked with MMTk) to precompile the rt.jar. So,
> your compilation process breaks at this stage with a segmentation
> fault caused by an arithmetic exception. As you have a segmentation
> fault, I think that your C code of MMTk probably corrupt the memory,
> either because you have a bug in your code, or because something goes
> wrong in your modifications in the glue between VMKit and MMTk
> (probably this second case).
>
> As you have modified the object layout (in MMTkObject.h?), it probably
> means that you use a different object layout? What kind of
> modifications have you introduced? Because if you have changed the
> object layout of Java objects, it can potentially impact all the code
> of J3 and VMKit...
Since MMTk is no longer generated by j3, but by my AOT compiler, the
object layout is different. I didn't modify MMTkObject.h, but I added my
own header to allow glue code correctly (hopefully) access fields and
construct 'objects' for MMTk. I noticed that vmkit/j3 holds reference to
MMTk objects, but my guess was they wouldn't access MMTk objects without
going through the glue code. So I only modified the glue code to adapt
to new layout, not the other parts. But still, the 'objects' in C MMTk
are not Java objects, and do not follow j3 Java object layout. I am not
sure if j3 implies that MMTk objects are its own java object. Is this
problematic? If so, I need to reconsider my solution.

And thanks for the reply, its very helpful.

Regards,
Yi