[LLVMdev] Disabling special treatment of "malloc" function

Chris Smowton chris at smowton.net
Sun Sep 8 07:36:46 PDT 2013

Hi,

I'm using uclibc built with dragonegg-3.2 / gcc-4.6, and ran into a
problem in which:

* uclibc's realloc malloc()'s some memory
* realloc then uses (malloc'd pointer) - some offset to find the true
size allocated.
* MemoryDependenceAnalysis (MDA) regards load from (malloc() call + any
offset) to be undefined, and replaces the size read with 0.
* All manner of chaos results when that value is used.

Obviously the problem is MDA assumes that load from malloc without
intervening store is undefined, but that assumption is unreasonable when
you're building parts of the allocator itself. It looks like LLVM makes
a little effort to spot that situation (it won't enforce malloc's
contract if the malloc function has a definition), but from the point of
view of building the realloc call malloc is an external declaration just
like for a program using libc.

For now I've added a flag to MDA such that malloc clobbers rather than
resolving to undef; however I was wondering if there is a "proper" way
to do this with any compiler targeting LLVM?

If it's actually not solved already, I'd suggest that instead of
assuming "derived from malloc -> undef" it could be better to leave such
loads alone unless they are provably within the bounds of the allocation
- so malloc(n) yields n bytes of undef, but clobbers out of bounds
pointers derived from the same malloc.

Chris