[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] RFC: A proposal to move toward using C++11 features in LLVM & Clang / bounding support for old host compilers

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Wed Oct 30 09:13:37 PDT 2013

On Oct 29, 2013, at 6:11 PM, C. Bergström <cbergstrom at pathscale.com> wrote:
>> No, it's 1 month, maybe 2 before something hits trunk, and over 6 months before something hits a release.
> I'm objecting to 1 month for svn trunk - 2 months notice is even pushing it imho.
>
> 1) This is imho not the small change which it's being presented as
> 2) As someone else stated - there are projects tracking svn trunk and telling them to just stop doing that and follow the previous release is untenable without sufficient notice. (It just doesn't seem fair)
>
> May I humbly propose you create a c++11-development branch now/later/anytime and let people start using that. In parallel to that let people know that pieces of the c++11 branch will potentially start merging Feb 1st 2014. (roughly 3 months from today). This gives people time to review things before they hit trunk, test, discuss and experiment in a way that virtual discussions simply can't flush out. This hopefully won't hurt your target of the release-after-next using more modern toolchains and is *hopefully* a win-win in your view.

Umm, no.  LLVM development happens on trunk, not on branches.  Please see the developer policy if you are confused by this.

I'm not sure what you're concerned about here, do you have any concrete problem in mind?

The practical effect of this decision is that as soon as 3.4 branches, a *lot* of codebase churn will happen.  All of which would be pointless to do on a branch.

-Chris