[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] RFC: A proposal to move toward using C++11 features in LLVM & Clang / bounding support for old host compilers

"C. Bergström" cbergstrom at pathscale.com
Tue Oct 29 18:11:44 PDT 2013

On 10/30/13 03:17 AM, Chandler Carruth wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 6:07 PM, "C. Bergström"
> <cbergstrom at pathscale.com <mailto:cbergstrom at pathscale.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 10/29/13 07:27 AM, Chandler Carruth wrote:
>
>         On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 5:06 PM, "C. Bergström"
>         <cbergstrom at pathscale.com <mailto:cbergstrom at pathscale.com>
>         <mailto:cbergstrom at pathscale.com
>         <mailto:cbergstrom at pathscale.com>>> wrote:
>
>             fuzzy://How much "heads up"
>

>         One full release cycle, so approximately 6 months before a release
>
>     If it's 3-6 months from *today* before something hits clang svn
>     trunk that should be enough time to address any problems.
>

> No, it's 1 month, maybe 2 before something hits trunk, and over 6
> months before something hits a release.
I'm objecting to 1 month for svn trunk - 2 months notice is even pushing
it imho.

1) This is imho not the small change which it's being presented as
2) As someone else stated - there are projects tracking svn trunk and
telling them to just stop doing that and follow the previous release is
untenable without sufficient notice. (It just doesn't seem fair)

May I humbly propose you create a c++11-development branch
now/later/anytime and let people start using that. In parallel to that
let people know that pieces of the c++11 branch will potentially start
merging Feb 1st 2014. (roughly 3 months from today). This gives people
time to review things before they hit trunk, test, discuss and
experiment in a way that virtual discussions simply can't flush out.
This hopefully won't hurt your target of the release-after-next using
more modern toolchains and is *hopefully* a win-win in your view.