[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] RFC: A proposal to move toward using C++11 features in LLVM & Clang / bounding support for old host compilers

Aaron Ballman aaron at aaronballman.com
Mon Oct 28 17:05:08 PDT 2013

On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 8:01 PM, Richard Smith <richard at metafoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 4:47 PM, "C. Bergström" <cbergstrom at pathscale.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> For those driving c++11 in clang/llvm - Would it generally be acceptable
>> to have a "sunrise" period where the preliminary evaluation has been done
>> (buildbots, compiler evaluate.. etc) and the 1st actual c++11 commit hits
>> the repo. (30-60 days?)
>

> I believe we already have buildbots testing with C++11 enabled for many of
> the configurations we support. (And we already use some of the new features
> if C++11 support is available.) Plus a couple of LLVM subprojects are
> already using C++11, and I believe they have buildbots.
>
> In short, I don't think this is something for which we need any action other
> than to check that we are already doing the right thing. We already have a
> strongly-enforced policy of rolling back/fixing changes that break bots, so
> if we are happy with our buildbot coverage, we're all good here.

I think we still have some build bot needs on the Visual Studio front.
 Most notably, a VS 2013 build bot now that the release has been
RTMed.

(Orthogonal to the C++11 discussion, we also could very much use at
least one VS Debug build builder to catch all of the problems that can
only be caught via debug builds, like checked iterators and whatnot.)

~Aaron