[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] RFC: A proposal to move toward using C++11 features in LLVM & Clang / bounding support for old host compilers

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Sun Oct 27 21:08:30 PDT 2013

On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 11:30 AM, Joerg Sonnenberger <
joerg at britannica.bec.de> wrote:

> > > Some notable features we would get to use:
> > >
> > > - r-value references, move semantics, etc
> > > - auto
> > > - range for loops
> > > - lambdas
> > > - static_assert
> > > - nullptr
> > > - std::unique_ptr, std::tuple, some other nice library stuff
>
> It would be nice to keep the list to things that don't require too much
> support from the STL implementation. Locale support and std::thread in
> the various forms are a real show stopper for bootstrapping otherwise.

Strong agreement. I think the most interesting would be the parts that need
compiler assistance, such as type traits and atomics. Even then, the nice
thing about the library is that we can easily test out the waters, and
supplement with our own libraries as needed. We have a harder time of that
with language features.