[LLVMdev] Bug #16941

Dmitry Babokin babokin at gmail.com
Mon Oct 21 11:12:07 PDT 2013

Nadav,

You are absolutely right, it's ISPC workload. I've checked SSE4 and it's
also severely affected.

We use intrinsics only for conversion <N x i32> <=> i32, i.e. movmsk.ps.
For the rest we use general LLVM instructions. And I actually would really
like to stick this way. We rely on LLVM's ability to produce efficient code
from general LLVM IR. Relying on intrinsics too much would be a crunch and
a path to nowhere for many reasons :)

What is the reason for this transformation, if it doesn't lead to efficient
code?

Dmitry.