[LLVMdev] [RFC] Stackmap and Patchpoint Intrinsic Proposal

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Fri Oct 18 20:38:59 PDT 2013

On Oct 18, 2013, at 2:59 PM, Evan Cheng <evan.cheng at apple.com> wrote:

>>> You’re correct that there is no dependence. I’m fine dropping the webkit name, but only if we can go straight to the final name (no need for “experimental”).
>>
>> I think that Hal's idea of "experimental" is the right approach here.  The major thing we want is to avoid having to be backwards compatible with this intrinsic in subsequent llvm releases.  "experimental" sends that message, where webkit does not (and is also bad for the reasons Hal mentions).
>
> What would be the criteria for eventually dropping 'experimental' from the intrinsic names?

At the least, I'd like to get some experience on these.  Having webkit actually ship something based on this seems like a minimal requirement to demonstrate that it will actually work (end to end) in practice.  Beyond that, we'd want to be happy enough with it that we'd be willing to autoupgrade it if it ever evolves in future releases: i.e. we'd be promising backward compatibility with the intrinsic.

-Chris