[LLVMdev] Downstream distributions as first class citizens in the LLVM repository

Tom Stellard tom at stellard.net
Fri Oct 18 19:07:51 PDT 2013

On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 06:47:51AM +0700, "C. Bergstr?m" wrote:
> <snip />
>
> May I just add a few points
>
> 1) Won't get rid of forks - ever.. forget it
> 2) Branches are "free" - having a single branch for dumping things is
> unlikely to suit the needs of all the work by everyone

I think that having a single stable branch would be the most efficient way to
track bug fixes for older versions, and help reduce the maintenance
burden on people distributing LLVM.  If the stable branch doesn't suit
someone's needs then they can still maintain their own branches using the
stable branch as a base.  This would be my preference.

That being said, I think the multiple vendor branches would still be
an improvement over what we have now, and I would sign up for a
Mesa branch if this is the way the community decides to go.

-Tom