[LLVMdev] Contribute a new precise pointer analysis to LLVM

lian li lianli at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 17:20:37 PDT 2013

Hi All,

This is Lian Li  from Oracle Labs in Brisbane Australia.

We have developed a precise and highly efficient pointer analysis
framework on top of LLVM,  The approach is flow, context, and field
sensitive, details are described in the two papers below:

"Boosting the performance of flow-sensitive points-to analysis using
value flow" (in ESEC-FSE 2011), and
"Precise and scalable context-sensitive pointer analysis via value
flow graph" (in ISMM 2013).

The analysis was initially developed for the purpose of bug checking,
and is now extended to support compiler optimizations. We have tested
it with existing compiler optimizations in LLVM, and have seen
promising results.

We are now considering to make this analysis available to the LLVM
community, and contribute resources for future maintenance needs,
provided that there is enough interest. We think that a new precise
pointer analysis in LLVM can enable more new optimization and analysis
techniques to be developed in LLVM.

Any people interested in seeing a new precise pointer analysis in LLVM?

Regards,
Lian Li