[LLVMdev] MI scheduler produce badly code with inline function

Andrew Trick atrick at apple.com
Tue Oct 15 22:38:05 PDT 2013

On Oct 15, 2013, at 9:28 PM, Zakk <zakk0610 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Andy, thanks for your help!!
> The scheduled code by method A is same as B when using the new machine model.
> it's make sense, but there is the another problem, the scheduled code is badly.
>
> load/store instruction always reuse the same register

I filed PR17593 with this information. However, I see opposite results from what you’re expecting. The code that uses fewer registers runs 4% faster on my cortex-a9. The integer unit is out-of-order.

> this is just because A9's per-operand machine model is not implemented well?
> By the way, why do you want to use the new machine model for mi-sched?

I want to move all the targets we support to the new machine model so it will be easier to maintain the scheduler. Additionally, the new model is much more efficient and simpler (if you don’t use special features). It is also correct for both preRA and postRA. Note that in the case of A9, the .td file for the new machine model is horribly complicated because it handles load multiple instructions. The A9 itinerary doesn’t even attempt to do that. (This was done mainly to demonstrate the feature set of the new model, not because it’s terribly important). The new model for A9 is also complicated by a mapping from the old itinerary classes to the new machine model.

-Andy