[LLVMdev] "target-features" and "target-cpu" attributes

Dmitry Babokin babokin at gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 09:34:13 PDT 2013

Bill, Ben, everyone,

Some time ago "target-features" and "target-cpu" attributes were
introduced. As I understand, they are intended to support generation of
"fat binaries" (binaries with functions generated for different CPUs),
particularly to support LTO compilation, when different source files have
different targets (say, one of files should support SSE2, another one
SSE4). Please correct me if I'm wrong in this assumptions.

My attempts to utilize this feature fail (I generate LLVM IR directly, I'm
not using clang) and this looks very similar to the one described by
Benjamin in this mail thread:
http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvm-commits/Week-of-Mon-20130218/166710.html

So the question - what is the state of supporting fat binaries. Is it
expected to work on x86?

Thanks in advance,
Dmitry.