[LLVMdev] runtime performance benchmarking tools for clang

Kun Ling lkun.erlv at gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 05:42:06 PDT 2013

Hi Jyoti,

   The best benchmark is your application, and since Clang & LLVM have
plenty of aggressive optimizations ( some of them may be bug-prone), it
also depends on how do you want to improve the performance.

   The following is some benchmarks that you could use to evaluate
performance of clang.

   1. Phoronix have done some performance test using its Phoronix Test
Benchmarks (http://www.phoronix-test-suite.com/ ), it includes plenty of
commonly used applications. The full list of applications in Phoronix
benchmark  could be found here: http://openbenchmarking.org/suites/pts

   2. For industry standard performance comparison, SPEC CPU is also a good
choice. You could find out more here: http://www.spec.org/cpu/ . General
Purpose CPU vendors use it to show performance improvements.

   3. There are also some other small benchmarks that could test compiler
performance, like polybench (
http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/~pouchet/software/polybench/ ), which focus
on evaluating the loop transformation of the compiler.

Regards,
Kun Ling

http://www.lingcc.com