[LLVMdev] JIT compiler on ARM issue

Tim Northover tnorthover at apple.com
Tue Oct 1 07:13:59 PDT 2013

On 1 Oct 2013, at 15:09, David Chisnall <David.Chisnall at cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> On 1 Oct 2013, at 14:49, Tim Northover <tnorthover at apple.com> wrote:
>
>> We're hoping to get rid of the old one soon, but there are one or two features that don't quite work there yet. Lazy compilation is the only one I know of, since we got multi-module support yesterday. But there may be more.
>
> Can MCJIT handle thread-local references?  This was the feature keeping us on the old JIT.  If it's expected to be working then I'll give it another try.

Doesn't look like it. That would need fairly detailed (per-target) handling in RuntimeDyldELF (& MachO). There are hundreds of those relocations, plus some fairly hairy descriptors to setup. Though I suppose you might be able to limit CodeGen to TLSGD to get something functional.

A fun project though.

Cheers.

Tim.