[LLVMdev] Targeting ARM Cortex-a9 from x86_64 with clang

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Tue Nov 26 09:43:41 PST 2013

On 26 November 2013 17:40, Sean Silva <chisophugis at gmail.com> wrote:

> As you can see, it chose the platform assembler, which is x86_64-only, not
>> a cross-assembler. That's the hint that Clang didn't find your
>> cross-binutils.
>>

> Out of curiosity, can't clang do the assembly itself in this case?

It can, but you need to use -integrated-as, because that's not the default
yet. (some missing features).

(but at least in LLVM's case, it would be a conscious tradeoff, while IIRC
> the GNU toolchain simply can't be built in a way that targets all of them
> from a single binary).

Exactly!

I only build the ARM back-end on my bots because I don't really care for
the rest, but I know I can, if I really want to.

cheers,
--renato