[LLVMdev] sinking address computing in CodeGenPrepare

Andrew Trick atrick at apple.com
Thu Nov 21 19:37:30 PST 2013

On Nov 21, 2013, at 4:47 PM, Evan Cheng <evan.cheng at apple.com> wrote:

> On Nov 20, 2013, at 10:38 PM, Hal Finkel <hfinkel at anl.gov> wrote:

In general, when AA is used during codegen, it grabs the IR value from the machine memoperands, then runs normal IR-level alias analysis. The IR needs to stay around and be immutable. That’s why anything that changes aliasing of IR-level memory ops should be run before CodeGen. For example, stack coloring needs to conservatively mutilate the machine memoperands to work around this problem.

We need to sink address computation to expose addressing modes to ISEL, but I’m not sure why we need to lower to ptrtoint. That doesn’t seem good for AA at all.

-Andy