[LLVMdev] bit code file incompatibility due to debug info changes

David Blaikie dblaikie at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 11:26:35 PST 2013

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 11:06 AM, Manman Ren <manman.ren at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 10:57 AM, David Blaikie <dblaikie at gmail.com>wrote:

>>> Can I assume no objection to the approach? :)
>>> Bill, are you okay with adding another mode to module flags? i.e. emits
>>> a warning and outputs the largest value.
>>>

>> How will this work as a module flag, though? If the flag gets merged and
>> maximized, how will we know which compile units have out of date debug info
>> metadata and drop them?
>>

> The dropping part comes from item 3 above: adding StripSymbols pass right
> after bit code loader if the debug info version number does not match.

(what Eric said, but also)

I'm just not really understanding how you choose which things to strip in
(3). If you've already merged IR modules together and the debug info
version is bumped to the maximum - if we had an old and a new module, the
resulting version would be 'new' and we wouldn't know we still had some old
data in there we needed to remove, would we? (and even if we did, we
wouldn't know which of the compile units we needed to drop and which
intrinsics we needed to strip, etc - since some was new and good and some
was old and busted)