[LLVMdev] Issues with inline assembly

Ghitulete Razvan razvan.ghitulete at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 13:11:18 PST 2013

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 8:55 PM, Stephen Checkoway <s at pahtak.org> wrote:

> This has come up before <https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/llvm-dev/vomnIQjefzA>. I don't recall if there was a resolution.

Thanks for the link, completely missed when googled the issue. I think
no consensus was reached (I cannot find any commit in the repository
addressing such issues). I will try and search for the culprit of the
inline assembly and replace it with btsl.

As for the issue at hand, although after carefully reading both the
thread and re-reading the sections from the instructions set reference
it is a rather unpleasant behavior, the error thrown by the toolchain.
Since Intel is nowadays by far the biggest vendor for x86/x86_64
hardware and they do not mention a single thing about the existence of
suffixes for this instruction, it could be accommodated (maybe with a
warning though) and take the second option from the 3 you provided.

P.S. : after searching a bit more, it seems that llvm is in fact the
only toolchain that rejects/complains about the bts ambiguity, or at
least people using llvm get annoyed more easily and start spamming
mailing lists :).

--
Sincerely,
Razvan Ghitulete