[LLVMdev] Issues with inline assembly

Ghitulete Razvan razvan.ghitulete at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 07:04:57 PST 2013

Hi guys,

I am trying to compile some files using clang + llvm and I am
encountering the following error during the linking step:

<inline asm>:1:2: error: ambiguous instructions require an explicit
suffix (could be 'btsw', 'btsl', or 'btsq')
        bts $14,(%eax)

Which basically does not make any sense, because I don't have the
mentioned inline assembly in any of the C files, and furthermore even
if I did, that is completely valid inline assembly (BTS as per x86
assembly reference does not need w,l or q modifiers)

N.B.:

The command that triggers the error is something along the lines of:
ld.gold -plugin LLVMgold.so -m elf_i386 -r -o final.o part1.o part2.o

@char:~/workspace$ clang -v
clang version 3.3.1
Target: x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
Thread model: posix

@char:~/workspace$ ld.gold -v
GNU gold (Linux/GNU Binutils 2.24.51.0.1.20131106) 1.11

--
Sincerely,
Razvan Ghitulete