[LLVMdev] [lld] process undefined atoms from shared library only once

Shankar Easwaran shankare at codeaurora.org
Tue Nov 19 12:04:21 PST 2013

Hi Rui,

I thought about this, but there is a catch. The undefined symbols still
need to be resolved with exports from dynamic libraries even the second
time, or any number of times.

For example :-

ld 1.o --start-group libc.so myprintf.a --end-group

1.o has a undef for myprintf, which is in myprintf.a and myprintf.a
calls puts.

The first time when libc.so, undef atoms would be added, no shared
library export atoms would be created because there is nothing that
libc.so would resolve.

The second time, undefined symbols from shared libraries need to be
skipped, and the external symbols that are present in the shared library
libc.so need to be looked at.

To complicate things there is also --as-needed/--no-as-needed, where in
a shared library is used only if its resolving symbols(the linker may
need to handle undefined symbols/external symbols from shared library in
any iteration).

Thanks

Shankar Easwaran

--
Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of Code Aurora Forum, hosted by the Linux Foundation