[LLVMdev] (Very) small patch for the jit event listener

Gaël Thomas gael.thomas at lip6.fr
Sat Nov 16 15:22:15 PST 2013

Hump, I think that I have to solution, but I have a new problem (more
serious). For the solution, it's stupid, I have simply loaded the
shared library in ObjectCache::getObject directly in a MemoryBuffer :)
As the linker understand a .o, it understands a .so.

Now, I'm able to compile a module (I call finalizeObject()), I'm able
to find my first generated function pointer, but I'm unable to execute
it. The code is correct (the same as with the old jit):

-> 0x107ef8000:  pushq  %rax
   0x107ef8001:  movabsq$0, %rax
   0x107ef800b:  callq  *%rax
   0x107ef800d:  popq   %rax
   0x107ef800e:  ret

But, first, the memory of the code is not in exec mode, and if I
mprotect the code with the PROT_EXEC flag, the instruction "movabsq$0,
%rax" fails with a
"error: address doesn't contain a section that points to a section in
a object file"

So, I'm pretty sure that I have forgotten something, but I don't see what?

If you could help, it would be perfect :) Basically, what I have done:
* I have an execution engine and two modules associated with it. The
first one contains the bitcode of vmkit and the second one my great
function with four lines of code.
* The execution engine is associated with an ObjectCache, which return
a MemoryBuffer that contains my shared library for the runtime module,
and for the other module, it answers null.

To compile, I call finalizeObject() after having loaded the runtime
module, and finalizeObject() after having populated the first module.
FInally, I call getPointerToFunction() to have the code and call it
manually (i.e., with a cast).

Thank you in advance!
Gaël