[LLVMdev] Any objections to my importing GoogleMock to go with GoogleTest in LLVM?

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Thu Nov 14 15:28:00 PST 2013

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 3:00 PM, Pete Cooper <peter_cooper at apple.com> wrote:

> This is probably most like #1, but i would either improve (or add a
> verbose option to) -debug-pass=Structure.  Then just write a test which
> calls opt with some passes and uses FileCheck to verify the debug output.

Yes, but see the problems with it that I brought up. Note that the new pass
manager makes this significantly more complex because there isn't a linear
series of passes (regardless of nesting).

> This is nice as it means that if anyone ever wants to verify for
> performance reasons that a given test invalidates a very specific set of
> passes and never regresses from that set then they can use FileCheck for
> this.

I don't think these are realistic or good tests in the new model... I'm not
really sure what we're gaining from this at all. It sounds like a much
worse case of what other people are complaining about with unittests?

> And it looks like debug-pass is available on release builds.

... not always. Certainly, with the added complexity needed to check a
system that uses active caching, I don't think we would want it in release
builds.