[LLVMdev] Proposal: release MDNodes for source modules (LTO+debug info)

Stephen Checkoway s at pahtak.org
Thu Nov 14 15:01:55 PST 2013

On Nov 14, 2013, at 8:19 AM, Rafael EspĂ­ndola <rafael.espindola at gmail.com> wrote:

> But gold has at most 2 objects loaded at any time.

Are you sure about that? I haven't looked into it but while building Chromium with LTO, I get:

../../third_party/gold/gold64: fatal error: out of file descriptors and couldn't close any
[secdev:~/chromium/src/out/Release] (master) s$ ulimit -Sn
10000

Looking in /proc, it has 10013 open file descriptors. With only 2 objects loaded at a time, I'd expect many fewer file descriptors to be open. Maybe it only has 2 objects in memory at once but keeps all the file descriptors open?

--
Stephen Checkoway