[LLVMdev] Quad-Core ARMv7 Build Slave Seeks Noble Purpose

Dmitri Gribenko gribozavr at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 17:48:18 PST 2013

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 5:28 PM, Mikael Lyngvig <mikael at lyngvig.org> wrote:
> Hi Dmitri,
>
> I am not using any kind of cache (didn't even know of ccache).  I have now
> installed ccache.  Perhaps ccache should be mentioned in the buildbot
> document so that every buildbot owner knows about it?

Possibly.

> It is currently running Arch Linux ARM.  if there are good reasons to switch
> to something else, I'll be happy to do that, although I am generally very
> happy about Arch Linux.
>
> What do you want me to build?  LLVM?  Clang?  Both plus test suite?

Personally, I see more value in building LLVM, Clang, possibly lld,
without test suite.  This is the way that most build bots operate.
Test suite takes a long time to run, and this increases the iteration
time.

As an example, you could look at the configuration in zorg repository
that corresponds to this buildbot:

http://lab.llvm.org:8011/builders/llvm-clang-lld-x86_64-debian-fast

It uses CMake/ninja, which will give you the best possible iteration time.

In order to use ccache, you need ensure that these environment
variables are set:

CC="ccache clang"
CXX="ccache clang++"
CCACHE_CPP2=yes
export CC CXX CCACHE_CPP2

(Of course, you can use gcc/g++ as compilers.)

Dmitri