[LLVMdev] (Very) small patch for the jit event listener

Yaron Keren yaron.keren at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 13:55:36 PST 2013

Hi Andy,

We had previous discussions about this, I'd like to state more exactly what
features would make MCJIT a replacement for the JIT.
After putting significant effort trying to move to MCJIT, I'm currently
back with the JIT. This is in a REPL environment where functions are added
and removed dynamically and response time is important. The issue is the
legacy JIT provides great flexibility for this use case which is currently
missing from MCJIT because of their very different design and goals.

With JIT, you can modify Function(s) in an already-compiled Module, unload
the machine code and the JIT will automatically recompile and relink the
function next time it is called. To make MCJIT work like that it would need
at least :

1) Automatic module splitting into function-modules.
2) Module delete: from module list, from linker namespace, machine code
unload, unregister EH and debuginfo.
3) Stub functions.
4) Relinking with stub functions so that new modules are relinked without
changing already-finalized modules. This is critical to response time as
you may change just one function out of 1000.
5) Module addition should register EH and debuginfo (this is not done with
current JIT but while at it...).

REPL environments using the LLVM JIT would likely encounter great
difficulty moving to the current MCJIT without the above. 1) could be done
by the programmer but the a helper function should provide this service.
2)-4) could be done only in the MCJIT. 5) is a bonus.

Until MCJIT has this kind of flexibility, I hope the JIT would be kept
alive.

Yaron