[LLVMdev] Any objections to my importing GoogleMock to go with GoogleTest in LLVM?

Eli Bendersky eliben at google.com
Tue Nov 12 19:42:29 PST 2013

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 7:04 PM, Chandler Carruth <chandlerc at google.com>wrote:

> I have some concrete use cases in testing the pass manager where it will
> allow the tests of this API to be more thorough, less verbose, and easier
> to maintain. I'm not claiming to be the biggest fan of some features in
> GoogleMock, but on the whole, I think it's better than the alternative and
> will allow more careful testing of C++ APIs where the interesting part is
> the API itself.

Emphatic +1

One of the major problems with unit testing (in general and in LLVM in
particular) is that it's difficult to isolate coupled components from each
other. A good mocking framework makes this much easier and thus can help us
create more unit tests in the long run. GoogleMock is popular,
battle-proven and is the natural companion for GTest.

Eli