[LLVMdev] Proposal: release MDNodes for source modules (LTO+debug info)

Manman Ren manman.ren at gmail.com
Tue Nov 12 18:07:17 PST 2013

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 4:59 PM, Chandler Carruth <chandlerc at google.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 4:46 PM, Manman Ren <manman.ren at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> 3) Make the MDNode be owned by the module that uses it?
>>>

>> MDNode is shared among modules so multiple modules can use it, if we
>> specify an owner for a MDNode, that will prevent sharing.
>>

> From your stats (40% stuck in the old module) it doesn't sound like this
> is buying us anything...

Hi Chandler,

I don't quite get why you think sharing is not buying us anything...
It reduces the memory footprint of the source modules (there is sharing
among the source modules) and the number of MDNodes created for the
destination module (we do not need to re-create the MDNodes that can be
shared).

The amount of sharing may not be that much but it still exists.

I had some experiments earlier on building clang with "-flto -g", if we
dis-allow sharing between source modules and destination module, the memory
footprint for MDNodes will increase by 15%.
If we disallow sharing among the source modules, the memory footprint for
MDNodes will be even larger.

Thanks,
Manman