[LLVMdev] __global() naming choice in locale header (FreeBSD -CURRENT)

Marcus von Appen mva at FreeBSD.org
Tue Nov 12 15:30:37 PST 2013

Dear all,

on porting blender 2.69 to FreeBSD -CURRENT (which by default uses
libc++ and clang 3.3), I ran into an issue with the cycles render engine
implementation, which apparently defines several OpenCL-specific
keywords, such as __global, __local, ...

The issue about defining compiler-specific keywords aside, the
compilation failed due to an issue in /usr/include/c++/v1/__locale,
which defines a private member

  static locale& __global();

in the locale class (see also
http://llvm.org/viewvc/llvm-project/libcxx/trunk/include/__locale?revision=193085)

The naming of that field, especially in conjunction with OpenCL, might be
chosen poorly.

In case you need further information, please CC me, since I'm not
subscribed to the list.

Cheers
Marcus