[LLVMdev] asm parser functionality

reed kotler rkotler at mips.com
Tue Nov 12 14:08:02 PST 2013

Right now inline assembler just passes through to the assembler if there
is no direct object emitter.

If there is a direct object emitter, it gets processed in Asm parser and
MC instructions are produced.

I propose that the initial parsing happen very early and the inline
assembly code be replaced with a sequence of MachineInstructions in the
basic block where it occurs.

Then code like constant islands, branch optimization and other things
can operate better. Right now they have to make lots of pessimistic
assumptions (or else be plain wrong).