[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] RFC: A proposal to move toward using C++11 features in LLVM & Clang / bounding support for old host compilers

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Mon Nov 11 12:47:20 PST 2013

On 11 November 2013 20:16, <dag at cray.com> wrote:

> A list of recommended versions would suffice.

I think the confusion here is that you're trying to enforce a version to
make migration easier to you, while we're trying to require a minimal
version to be able to include a few new features into the code. These
statements are not compatible. I agree we can't just change the minimal
requirement every new C++11 feature that is introduced, or it would be just
impossible for any external project to track changes and modify their build
systems.

But what Chandler said is more than enough for all changes: 4.7.x is the
minimal GCC version (with x = 1 being the oldest most stable, but if you
really need x = 0, who cares?), 2012 for VisualStudio, 3.1 for Clang. Any
release or trunk version after that, with any patches that you might want
to include, is really up to you. I would recommend you to use the newest
version of any compiler you want, as that would avoid the same painful
process next time, but that's not always possible and I appreciate it.

I don't think it's possible to be more precise than that.

cheers,
--renato