[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] RFC: A proposal to move toward using C++11 features in LLVM & Clang / bounding support for old host compilers

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Mon Nov 11 11:18:58 PST 2013

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 11:04 AM, <dag at cray.com> wrote:

> Richard Smith <richard at metafoo.co.uk> writes:
>
> > 1) Switch trunk to C++11 at time T. People whose toolchains aren't
> > ready stop integrating from LLVM trunk until they are ready.
> > 2) Switch trunk to C++11 at time T + an extra month. Again, people
> > whose toolchains aren't ready stop integrating from LLVM trunk until
> > they are ready.
>
> This flies completely in the face of the development model pushed by the
> LLVM leadership.  We've been told over and over, "follow trunk and keep
> up to date."  I have in fact been moving us in that direction.  It's a
> massive undertaking and it has taken years to get the pieces in place.
>
> I feel like I'm being pulled in two directions: one group says work off
> trunk and another says work off major releases.  Which is it?

Neither. The rule is and remains "follow trunk and keep up to date".

Further, we prioritize what is *right* for trunk and the open-source
project long-term. Sometimes this means a few users of trunk are
inconvenienced or have to pay a higher cost. When this happens, the burden
is on them to pay it (both pulling away from trunk for a few weeks while
they pay the change cost, and pay the cost of catching back up to trunk
afterward).

Are the goal posts moving? Yes. They have to. The project has to be able to
keep moving forward even if it inconveniences one project. The goal is to
not inconvenience *everyone*, especially not contributors.