[LLVMdev] Warnings on Opt passes

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Sat Nov 9 22:20:23 PST 2013

On 9 November 2013 21:57, edA-qa mort-ora-y <eda-qa at disemia.com> wrote:

> How many such messages would be generated? If there are only a few,
> perhaps it isn't worth it, but if there could be hundreds of them, then
> perhaps it is worth it.

You can already use the debug messages via opt if you want a lot of
messages, but I'm thinking about something that is condensed into a
fixed-format, so that front-ends don't need changing when the debug
messages change (content, order, etc).

Could a front-end reasonably transform these warnings into something
> meaningful to the programmer?

This is my main idea, yes.

Thinking of my own languages, or even C++,
> it seems like it might be impossible to translate a lower-level warning.
> Quite often the warnings are about things the programmer can't even
> control in the high-level language.

This is not my experience. At least in the loop vectorizer, some debug
messages hint into adding specific keywords, moving loop invariant code
out, changing the induction ranges, etc, which can all be done in C. On a
higher level language, I agree, it won't help the user much, but it could
help the language/compiler developer to make a better job at lowering to IR.

cheers,
--renato