[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] RFC: A proposal to move toward using C++11 features in LLVM & Clang / bounding support for old host compilers

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Thu Nov 7 09:59:37 PST 2013

On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 9:04 AM, <dag at cray.com> wrote:

> Renato Golin <renato.golin at linaro.org> writes:
>
> > In a nutshell, if we want the toolchain to evolve with time, we'll
> > need to have API changes, and we'll need to update surrounding
> > software to cope with that. The only difference is if we want to be
> > doing this as our day-to-day job, or twice a year (or even less than
> > that if you stay on a release for a while longer). I personally think
> > that it's more manageable to do that on releases than on trunk (been
> > there, done that, and it sucks).
>
> Except that the core developers recommend working off trunk.  If you
> want to contribute code back, you pretty much have to work off trunk.

The need to base your work off of trunk to contribute it back is an
inherent fact of life with a project that moves as fast as LLVM. No amount
of stable APIs would remove this pressure.

This does (naturally) come with a cost. Chasing API changes is easily the
most impactful thing we deal with here, and I suspect it is for others as
well. It still is less expensive (IMO) than doing one-off updates from
release X to release X+N. And it still dwarfs the cost of using a
reasonably modern toolchain.