[LLVMdev] loop vectorizer

Andrew Trick atrick at apple.com
Tue Nov 5 20:14:07 PST 2013

On Nov 5, 2013, at 7:39 PM, Frank Winter <fwinter at jlab.org> wrote:

> Good that you bring this up. I still have no solution to this vectorization problem.
>
> However, I can rewrite the code and insert a second loop which eliminates the 'urem' and 'div' instructions in the index calculations. In this case, the inner loop's trip count would be equal to the SIMD length and the loop vectorizer ignores the loop. Unrolling the loop and SLP is not an option, since the loop body can get lengthy.
>
> What would be a quicker to implement:
>
> a) Teach the loop vectorizer the 'urem' and 'div' instructions, or

If I’m correct assuming that this means teaching SCEV about (or (and…), (shl…)), then it seems like a worthwhile thing to do, but a fundamental improvement that is not easy and could have unknown impact.

> b) have the loop vectorizer process loops with trip count equal to the vector length ?

Seems to me like we should handle this and it’s just a matter of fixing the driver/heuristics. I would file a PR with this test case.

-Andy