[LLVMdev] hackers lab discussion item

reed kotler rkotler at mips.com
Mon Nov 4 12:00:57 PST 2013

I'm really interested to discuss the problem of running LLVM multiple
times on the same function in order to guide later tries.

In looking at things briefly earlier, it seemed that this was safe to do
as long as you didn't let asm printer get called on the result.
I.e. you could throw early results away with impunity.

It seems that by precompiling a function to get some information about
it, some more intelligent global optimization could be done.

For example, even something like register scavenger could be avoided if
you knew in advance the requirements .
All the needed stack space could be allocated earlier during local
variable placement.

I'm not sure who will be there that is knowledgeable about this and
would like to discuss this with me.

We have several applications for this already for the Mips port that
would benefit from this.

Also, I would like to discuss the idea of having a module level pass for
things like constant islands so that the whole module
can be considered at once. This might be better done by just have a
module level store and keeping the current structure.
Anyway; these are some things I would like to discuss.

Discussion on email is fine too but with everyone there we can resolve
things more quickly.

I was able to save a huge amount of time last year during the hackers
lab by meeting with Bill Wendling and other that were working on future
things that I was able to use for Mips16 and avoided lots of duplicated
and/or misspent effort.