[LLVMdev] Deprecating autoconf/make?

Richard Smith richard at metafoo.co.uk
Thu May 23 15:48:46 PDT 2013

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 3:28 PM, Greg Fitzgerald <garious at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
> > Perhaps I’m misunderstanding you. Are you suggesting
> > using QEMU as part of the LLVM build process?
>
> Just for the case of building the runtime libraries for a cross-compiled
> version of clang.
>
> Another option is to have the compiler-rt build depend on a host build of
> clang.

I think you mean "build" not "host" here.

> So when cross-compiling clang, we'd generate two clang builds: a target
> version to ship,

I think you mean "host" not "target" here.

> and a throwaway host version that only exists to cross-compile compiler-rt.

I think you mean "build" not "host" here.

> I think this second option is the more elegant one (less source
> dependencies), but is it possible in a single CMake build?

Right now, no, but I don't see why that's a problem. Running cmake multiple
times is not difficult. Also, there's no reason to think that we need to
use a just-built clang to build compiler-rt. *Any* compiler which can build
compiler-rt and can target whatever platform we want runtimes for is fine,
and by running cmake manually, we get to pick whichever compiler makes
sense for that.

Is this really a problem for which we need some kind of automation in the
build system?