[LLVMdev] Variable names of arguments to call functions

Shruti Patil shruee at yahoo.com
Wed May 22 18:10:07 PDT 2013

Hi,

I am trying to get arguments of call functions in instructions
such as these: call @func(i32 %arg1, i32 %arg2). I want to get the
declared variable names for arg1 and arg2. Most of these arguments are
arrays, and I need to get the index of the array as well.

Currently, I read arguments of the called function using getArgOperands(), and
backtrace the Value* until I find an alloca instruction to get the
variable name. For the array index, I backtrace until I find a
getelementptr instruction.

I am wondering if the
information I need is captured in the metadata. I see explicit calls to
llvm.dbg.value and llvm.dbg.declare when I compile with the -g option, but I can't figure out how to
retrieve the metadata for the arguments of the call at func instruction.

Here is a sample LLVM IR excerpt:

%a = alloca [4 x i32], align 2
%arrayidx = getelementptr inbounds i32* %a, i64 2, !dbg !42
%0 = load i32* %arrayidx, align 2, !dbg !42
call void @func(i32 %0), !dbg !42

Thank you!!

Regards,
shruti