[LLVMdev] Static linking of execution engine

Kaylor, Andrew andrew.kaylor at intel.com
Wed May 22 13:04:43 PDT 2013

Hi Mario,

It turns out that this isn't a problem with the static constructor at all.

EngineBuilder::create() is calling dlopen (by way of sys::DynamicLibrary::loadLibraryPermanently) with a zero argument to get a handle the current module, which the default memory manager may later use for external symbol resolution.  Because in your case the program is statically linked, the call to dlopen fails (errno says the executable couldn't be found in the dynamic linker's module load list).  When this happens EngineBuilder::create() also fails.

In reality, the EngineBuilder code shouldn't be doing that.  If it is needed at all the memory manager should be doing it.  If you comment out that call in the EngineBuilder code, your test case will successfully create the JIT engine.  However, you might have subsequent problems with external symbol resolution.  In that case, you would need to implement a memory manager that knew how to resolve the missing symbols.

If you prefer not to modify the LLVM code, you can also work around this problem by using ExecutionEngine::createJIT(), which does not make the dlopen check.  I suspect that code path is not well tested, so there may be additional problems if you do things that way.

-Andy