[LLVMdev] TLS with MCJIT (an experimental patch)

Kaylor, Andrew andrew.kaylor at intel.com
Wed May 15 10:11:22 PDT 2013

I don't think this is actually a TLS-specific problem.  The TLS case just exposed a couple of other shortcomings in the current code base.

The problem is two-fold.  First, MCJIT doesn't support the PIC relocation model for most platforms.  Second, the MC code generation doesn't work with large code model and the static relocation model.

Because of these two issues, to try to get TLS working, we wanted to generate code with the static relocation model and the small code model.  It's the small code model that requires code to be loaded in the lower 2GB.  In particular, when you use small code model with static relocation model MC generates relocations that assume 32-bit addresses (R_X86_64_32).  Once this relocation is generated, the RuntimeDyld doesn't have enough information to be able to fake it if the address it needs to write into the relocation is bigger than 32-bits.

For PC-relative relocations, we can just rely on everything being loaded in proximity, and in fact that happens even with the large memory model.  For "absolute" 32-bit relocations that doesn't work.

-Andy