[LLVMdev] #APP/#NOAPP

Reed Kotler rkotler at mips.com
Thu May 9 17:01:02 PDT 2013

On 05/09/2013 04:22 PM, Eric Christopher wrote:
> That code looks a little odd but not too awful. I still don't
> understand what's so wrong/complicated about this. You seem to be of
> the opinion that injecting asm into a stream ala gcc is a good idea in
> clang, it really isn't.
>
> -eric
Hi Eric,

I'm going to start putting this code back soon. It's in several patches,
the first of which does not have any inline assembly code being emitted.

It's not a huge amount of code and it's in it's own separate IR module
pass. I am doing more testing and some cleanup as a result of internal
review by Akira.

When I do, you can look at what I did and tell me how I could have done
it differently. I try and float all my ideas by the list before doing
any major work and I would have brought this up if I had thought it was
important. The emitting of the actual body of the stub is the trivial
part of this. Maybe I can move that code somewhere else. You can advise.

This interoperability between mips16/mips32 for floating point is very
complicated and by doing it they way I did, it's really easy to read the
code and see the whole thing in one place. I can't really imagine trying
to understand all of this with it spread out in the DAGISEL target
lowering code.

The stubs and the code I'm compiling are not even for the same
instruction: the code is mip16 code and the stubs are mips32.

I don't think it's an objective fact that injecting asm in the stream is
not a good idea but surely some (maybe many or most) people would agree
with you.

reed