[LLVMdev] [lld] contentHash in the Reader ?

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Wed May 8 09:35:15 PDT 2013

On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 6:03 PM, Rui Ueyama <ruiu at google.com> wrote:

> I'd use SHA128 or MD5 as the linker does not handle hostile input. I think
> as long as it's collision free, it should suffice.

FWIW, the need for a collision free hash -- or *digest*, my preferred term
-- is well known.

Interestingly newer, supposedly "more secure" digest algorithms are also
very often significantly faster. I don't think we want any of the ones
mentioned here, I think we want one of the candidates is the SHA3
competition which had truly stellar software implementation throughput. I'm
hoping to add support for such a digest algorithm to LLVM soon, as there
are many folks who want to consume this information: modules, merge
function pass, debug info, and the linker.