[LLVMdev] #APP/#NOAPP

reed kotler rkotler at mips.com
Mon May 6 09:41:58 PDT 2013

On 05/06/2013 09:13 AM, Rafael EspĂ­ndola wrote:
>> Then I could call that method when I'm processing  compiler generated stubs
>> that have inline
>> assembly.
> Sorry, I just think this is a way too slippery slope to be in. People
> already misunderstand and misuse hasRawTextSupport. Adding the ability
> to for llvm to know if an inline assembly is human written or machine
> generated would be a massive foot gun.
>
> Cheers,
> Rafael
I think you are mixing up lots of things here.

The ability to turn on /off these APP/NOAPP markers is something
independent  of anything having to do with compiler generated inline asm
or being able to tell how asm is generated.

So now I will generate ugly looking asm output that is harder for me to
debug and look at it.

What is that helping?

It's a 10 line patch that has no effect on anything but the Mips port
but the functionality is there now for others that need it.

I personally would be happy to remove APP/NOAPP but that is what gcc
does too and you will break many tests in llvm "make check" if you do that.

When gcc emits stubs for mips16/32 interoperability, there are no
APP/NOAPP comments in it.
How am I supposed to match that if I'm prevented from disabling those?

Reed