[LLVMdev] #APP/#NOAPP

reed kotler rkotler at mips.com
Mon May 6 09:09:00 PDT 2013

On 05/06/2013 08:51 AM, Rafael EspĂ­ndola wrote:
>> It's working fine just that it's ugly to see those APP/NOAPP markers.
> Inline assembly is inline assembly. It has the semantics defined in
> the IL documentation and should all be treated uniformly.
>
> I guess I would be OK with unconditionally removing those comments (I
> don't see a lot of value in them) or having different verbosity levels
> for the asm output.
>
> What we should never have is a "if (this asm was created by llvm itself)".
I would like to see a method in asm printer which turns on/off these
comments.
It's trivial to add and use but I can't put back to this code without
permission so there is no point to write the patch if nobody will
approve it.

Then I could call that method when I'm processing  compiler generated
stubs that have inline
assembly.

Traditionally these comments are used in gcc so that when you look at
assembly code, you can tell which was generated by the compiler and
which was inline assembly the user created.

People writing inline assembly tend to write multi-line strings for the
inline asm block so they don't have so many of these wrappers as I do.

I'm generating a line at a time.

Adding additional compiler options is another issue.

If you just turned these comments all off right now, I think that "make
check" would fail a lot because people are looking for these markers in
some tests.