[LLVMdev] gsoc 2013

John Criswell criswell at illinois.edu
Wed May 1 19:20:50 PDT 2013

On 4/30/13 9:02 PM, Yun-Wei Lee wrote:
> Hello, it may a bit too late.
> I want to join gsoc 2013 and my proposal is to do static analyze on
> gpu programming, such as CUDA.
> Recently, I have been studying materials relating to SSA, data flow
> analysis, fixed point theory and etc under the instruction of one of
> the Ph.D in UIUC.

I'm at Illinois as well (I work for Vikram Adve).  May I ask under who
you are studying?

> After discuss with him, we came up this proposal.
> I think I can do this well because I am also familiar with many
> algorithms on graph, such as scc. (I'm a contestant of ACM ICPC in my
> school.)

You will need to have a much more concrete proposal for GSoC.  I'm
assuming that your static analysis is for bug finding; is that correct?
If so, your proposal should describe what sort of errors your static
analysis will find, how your analysis will work, and how it will be
integrated into Clang/LLVM.  You should also state whether your analysis
will work at the Clang AST level, the LLVM IR level, or some combination
thereof.

I heard the proposal deadline was Friday (although I'm not mentoring
this summer, so I could be wrong on the date).  If you want feedback,
you should add these things to your proposal and send them to the
correct list (cfe-dev for Clang, llvmdev for LLVM) for feedback.

Your final proposal should also include a detailed schedule of how the
work will proceed and long it will take; it should also include an
explanation of why you're qualified for the position.  You will
basically need to provide something like a CV describing your work,
school, and coding experience.  I believe mentors will place more weight
on coding experience than academic credentials.

Good luck.

-- John T.