[LLVMdev] UNREACHABLE executed! error while trying to generate PTX

Justin Holewinski justin.holewinski at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 13:27:43 PDT 2013

Not really.  Clang does not have a way to annotate device vs. kernel
functions in C/C++ mode.  You're probably better off trying to use OpenCL
or CUDA mode in clang.

In the clang unit tests, there is a cuda.h header that provides very basic
support for these keywords:  tests/SemaCUDA/cuda.h

If you compile as CUDA (use .cu extension, or "-x cuda") and use this
header, you will have basic support.  You can invoke clang with something
like:

$ clang test1.cu -Xclang -fcuda-is-device -I ../src/clang/test/SemaCUDA
-Xclang -triple -Xclang nvptx64 -Xclang -target-cpu -Xclang sm_20 -S

... assuming your clang source directory is ../src/clang, you want 64-bit
PTX, and your target SM is 2.0.  Adjust accordingly.

Clang also knows how to map OpenCL to PTX, so you would do something like:

$ clang test1.cl -Xclang -triple -Xclang nvptx64 -Xclang -target-cpu
-Xclang sm_20 -S

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 3:29 PM, upit <uday_pitambare at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanks a lot Justin,
>
> I will remove the toolkit header. Just one last question..(maybe ;) ) If I
> do away with toolkit headers it says unknown type name '__device__'. Does
> this function qualifier have an alternative ? or I can just do away with ?
>

> --

Thanks,

Justin Holewinski