[LLVMdev] guidance on backend writing; canonical example?

Jason E. Aten j.e.aten at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 18:50:42 PDT 2013

*> Chris Lattner**, Mon Nov 15 12:06:18 CST 2010, wrote:
**>
*> If anyone was really interested in this, I'd strongly suggest a complete
rewrite of the C backend: make use the existing target independent code
generator code (for legalization etc) and
> then just put out a weird ".s file" at the end. -Chris

I see that Chris made the above suggestion a while ago.  Are there other
suggestions for how to re-architect the C backend? I'm thinking of helping
with Roel Jordan's effort to revive the C backend, but I don't know the
best way to implement backends. Is there a prototype to follow?

Thanks,
Jason