[LLVMdev] MCJIT and Lazy Compilation

Malea, Daniel daniel.malea at intel.com
Mon Mar 11 14:55:12 PDT 2013

Hi Andrew, the prototype looks great! Andy Kaylor is on vacation, so I'm not sure if he'll see this thread until next week.

You definitely have MCJIT moving in the right direction, but the API you're using (ExecutionEngine) has to be stretched a little bit to accomplish your goals.  In your implementation, do clients call recompileAndRelinkFunction() for every module that is needed to satisfy inter-module dependencies (if so, can the same thing be accomplished with the existing ExecutionEngine::addModule()?) or do clients call it only to update ("hotswap") a module that has been previously compiled but has since changed?

Off hand, it sounds like ExecutionEngine might need another function like:

updateModule(Module* M);

which does what your modified recompileAndRelinkFunction() does. It should be easy to add any new functions you need to the API in ExecutionEngine.h as virtuals (with default, empty, implementations in order to keep the old JIT happy) and overrides in MCJIT that do the right thing.

Regarding tests, I'm thinking that the existing lli-based MCJIT integration tests (tests/ExecutionEngine/MCJIT) are going to be harder to extend to support multiple modules (with function dependencies, globals, etc) than the unit tests (unittests/ExecutionEngine/MCJIT). Anyways, it sounds like you have already been testing lots of cases, but I'm not sure if that's been done manually or in some automatic fashion. There is a (commented-out) test in MCJITTests.cpp that intends to test the case of dependencies between modules, but there's probably lots of other cases that can be added too. In any case, I find that writing unit tests is a big help to figure out what an API should look like.

Also, I believe there's an assumption (in at least one place) that ExecutionEngines take ownership of Modules that are passed in. It sounds like you removed it (from MCJIT at least) by getting rid of the field M and the corresponding assertions, but I'm wondering if there's any other common code in ExecutionEngine that makes the same assumption about a single module whose ownership is transferred.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "1) The current single Module case may need to be retained??". I don't see why the single-module case cannot be handled in exactly the same way as the multiple module cases.

Ashok (cc'd) has in the past looked at MCJIT memory managers, and specifically at applying permissions, so he might have some more thoughts, and I'll leave it to Andy K to review at the relocation stuff as that's his domain of expertise!

At this point though, I think lots people are excited about MCJIT (specifically, multiple modules with dependencies and hot-swapping) and would love to see a patch when you have a moment to rebase it on top of current trunk. Don't worry if the patch is incomplete; just seeing its design might help elicit some more targeted comments!

Thanks,
Dan