[LLVMdev] AESOP autoparallelizing compiler

Timothy Mattausch Creech tcreech at umd.edu
Sat Mar 9 17:58:08 PST 2013

On Mon, Mar 04, 2013 at 03:01:15PM +0800, 陳韋任 (Wei-Ren Chen) wrote:
> Hi Timothy,
>
> >  We would like to inform the community that we're releasing a version of our research compiler, "AESOP", developed at UMD using LLVM. AESOP is a distance-vector-based autoparallelizing compiler for shared-memory machines. The source code and some further information is available at
> >
> >  http://aesop.ece.umd.edu
> >
> > The main components of the released implementation are loop memory dependence analysis and parallel code generation using calls to POSIX threads. Since we currently have only a 2-person development team, we are still on LLVM 3.0, and some of the code could use some cleanup. Still, we hope that the work will be of interest to some.
>
>   Do you have data show us that how much parallelization the AESOP can
> extract from those benchmarks? :)
>
> Regards,
> chenwj
>
> --
> Wei-Ren Chen (陳韋任)
> Computer Systems Lab, Institute of Information Science,
> Academia Sinica, Taiwan (R.O.C.)
> Tel:886-2-2788-3799 #1667
> Homepage: http://people.cs.nctu.edu.tw/~chenwj

Hi Wei-Ren,
  Sorry for the slow response. We're working on a short tech report which will be up on the website in April. This will contain a "results" section, including results from the SPEC benchmarks which we can't include in the source distribution.

Briefly, I can say that we get good speedups on some of the NAS and SPEC benchmarks, such as a 3.6x+ speedup on 4 cores on the serial version of NAS "CG" (Fortran), and "lbm" (C) from CPU2006. (These are of course among our best results.)

-Tim