[LLVMdev] dragon egg + llvm for fortran to c translation

Philipp Schwaha philipp at schwaha.net
Wed Mar 6 04:20:37 PST 2013

Hi Dmitry,

thank you very much for the very illuminating example!

On 2013-03-02 16:31, Dmitry Mikushin wrote:
> Hi Philipp,
>
> Let me provide you with an example back from September 2011. Attached
> is original Fortran source, optimized LLVM IR and what we regenerated
> back into C from LLVM IR by means of C backend. As you can see, the C
> code closely resembles LLVM IR.
yes, the resemblance is quite remarkable.

> I don't know what you intend to use it for (maybe some
> source-to-source compiler or DSL?), but to our experience, we had a
> system using C backend, but dropped it in favor of native LLVM backend
> for the target architecture (NVPTX in our case). Source-to-sourcing is
> generally very painful, there is a great chance to spend 90% of
> resources on stupid technical problems and only 10% - for
> ideas/innovation.
source to source is exactly what would be the goal. I realize it is a
quite painful process and thus would like to use as much existing
infrastructure as possible before reinventing already excellent
solutions.

> Note we were only users of C backend, and only had to make minor
> fixes to a working system. Developers are Chris, Duncan (replied on
> this thread too) and others. They may have more insight, if you would
> need implementation details.
thank you very much for all your help, it is very much appreciated!

best regards
    Philipp