[LLVMdev] Issue with PrintStackTrace (probably a bug?)

Cristianno Martins cristiannomartins at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 13:26:19 PST 2013

Hello there,

I'm doing some modifications on an ll file generated by llvm just to learn some more about the llvm text intermediate language. However, I'm having some issues while using lli to execute the modified ll, and, although sometimes the program just freezes, the following message is being printed most of the times:

0  libLLVM-3.3svn.dylib 0x000000010fdd813e llvm::sys::PrintStackTrace(__sFILE*) + 46
1  libLLVM-3.3svn.dylib 0x000000010fdd844b PrintStackTraceSignalHandler(void*) + 27
2  libLLVM-3.3svn.dylib 0x000000010fdd8759 SignalHandler(int) + 297
3  libsystem_c.dylib    0x00007fff89f5d8ea _sigtramp + 26
4  libsystem_c.dylib    0x00007fd8c9c073d8 _sigtramp + 1070242568
Segmentation fault: 11

Now, I'm not really calling PrintStackTrace (at least not directly) when modifying the ll file, and I'm guessing my changes are generating some errors (once the original ll file can be interpreted by lli without any problem), but apparently the PrintStackTrace routine (called by lli?) is having some problems in showing its issues to me.

I've looked into the llvm-dev list, and the llvm git repos, and I had the impression a bug that looked just like this one was being worked on since 2008. I confess I'm not using the latest git version, but my last merge was on feb 14th 2013, and I didn't see anything on the log messages that appears to correct this problem on the newest commits. Are there any ideas how can I pass through this?

Thanks in advance,

--
Cristianno Martins